MEALS THIS WEEK

I have been making a point of meal planning in an attempt to get some variety into my diet. I have this really terrible way of stumbling upon a great dish and eating it to death. My school schedule means that I am home before supper time three times a week, leaving ample time to be creative in the kitchen

Yoga Pot
Yoga Pot

We had this meal on an achingly hot day. Terrible preparation on my part. It was tasty and filling. There is a lot of spice and flavour that goes into this dish. I skipped the lentils and served mine over quinoa.

Chickpea Cutlet
Chickpea Cutlets with Mustard Sauce // Cracklin' Cauliflower

I had a bit of an obsession with seitan when I first discovered it. I have yet to find it anywhere in-store here in Calgary, so I made my own. This recipe for chickpea cutlets is from Veganomicon. I expected something very unlike what this recipe turned out to be; more of a chickpea fritter, I suppose. What it is, is a sort of mock meat with a chickpea base. It's the kind of recipe that I imagine would be good for someone who has recently become vegan or vegetarian and still misses the bite of meat. For me, the consistency was foreign, and honestly a bit odd. The flavour was there — the texture not so much. I've had Whole Foods version of Cracklin' Cauliflower on numerous occasions. It's a bit spicier than this version, which is more about flavours that you would commonly find in Indian cooking.

Burger and Soup
Portobello Burgers and Corn Chowder

Le me start by saying that I am not much of a mushroom or soup girl. Mushrooms, because I can't cook them, and soup, because its boring. This supper made me appreciate mushrooms and soup. The burgers are from Sprouted Kitchen, and the soup from "Small Plates & Sweet Treats." I made the burgers to please my mother and the soup to please my father (plus, a chilly day called for soup), and walked away a happy camper myself. My thoughts on what made the soup so good is the coconut milk. Hands down.

Black Bean Hash
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Hash

Confession: I ate this three times this week. I was supposed to have a black bean quesadilla one evening, but on a whim decided to abandon the plan. This dish was born out of a desire to clean out the fridge, and it just so happened to turn out heavenly. Isn't that the most pleasant surprise? The ingredients are simple as can be, and I imagine that the recipe is versatile depending on what you have on hand. I'll share the recipe soon.

Tempeh and Mung Beans
Pan-fried Tempeh and Mung Beans

This is my favourite meal of all time. It comes straight from Heidi Swanson's "Super Natural Everyday." It is simple. It takes almost no time to put together, and it lasts me a days worth of leftovers (I cut the recipe in half).

What were your favourite recipes this week?

4 comments:

  1. Your black bean and sweet potato hash looks divine! I can't wait for the recipe. I've been so lazy in the kitchen this week, so my favorite meal has been my usual avocado toast + egg. So boring, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a Broccoli, Chickpea & Pasta salad! 216 cals, tasty and filling! It was supposed to be ham, but I opted for chickpeas instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photography is good but... are they yummy? heheheh :D

    ReplyDelete

« »

aussi belle All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger