SOME GOALS FOR 2014

Breakfast
Hey, 2014. What's up?

2013 pretty much sucked all around (lots of personal/family crap not suitable for sharing), so I am more than happy to see it go. Whatever. We all came out relatively unscathed. Of course, tacking up a new calendar means so much promise for the coming months, right? I'm not sure if I buy into that, but I like the idea of 'new beginnings' (do we ever really get them, though?), and cracking the spine of my new Moleskine seems as good a time as any. Also, two weeks off (up to a month for some) and I am ready to go back to school. Enough sitting on my ass. I need something to strive for. Remind me that I said this when it's midterms in a month and I'm flipping my shit and claiming that I need a holiday. Yeah, okay.

My overarching goal for 2014 is to try harder in all aspects of my life. Pretty lofty, right? It gives me a lot of room to succeed and fail, which I like. Of course, I've made some smaller goals, which include:
  • Drink fresh juice once a day to amp up my veggie intake. I'm still undecided on purchasing a juicer, or where I’m going to get a constant supply of organic produce. The farmer’s market would make sense, except that it’s pretty inaccessible for me on a weekly basis (without a vehicle). I think I might finally give Spud a try, as they offer juicing packs.
  • Master artisan bread-making. Last year, I tinkered with recipes in Tartine and Flour Water Salt Yeast, but never committed to learning the art. I am in the midst of reading Cooked at the moment, and as per usual, Pollan has inspired me to pick up the craft. I don’t eat a lot of bread or gluten products as it is, not because I’m intolerant (there was a scare last year though), but because conventional loaves contain a whole lot of shit that I frankly just don’t want to put into my temple body. When I do have a craving for some avocado toast, I exclusively eat Ezekial products, which are fine, but NOTHING like homemade bread made with a starter. Another inspiration: a loaf that my mother and I shared at Sitka & Spruce. Ohmyword, it was incredible.
  • Run a half marathon. Surprisingly my one fitness goal for the year. It's been in the works for a while. Last year, I really got into running (despite quite a few minor injuries... Running doesn't seem to like me) but was unsure as to whether or not I wanted to run another race. For me, running is very much a solo activity. While some people do yoga or meditate to clear their heads, I run. Alas, I've decided that this is the year I'll do my first half-marathon. I have yet to commit to anything, but I'm looking into Rock N Roll Seattle, SeaWheeze Vancouver, or the Portland Half. It seems like I am down to travel for three things: guaranteed runs, hiking, and food/coffee.
  • HIKE. This one really requires me to first get my drivers license and a vehicle, which is what has stopped my from being out in the mountains every single weekend. I'm anticipating having that taken care of by May/June (JUST DO IT, UGH), which guarantees at least a couple of good (read: warm) months of hiking before I'll likely make the plunge and purchase snowshoes. I've started a list of hikes that I'd like to do in Alberta, Washington and Idaho, which leads nicely into my next point...
  • Travel. Unlike everyone else I know, I'm pretty AOK with hanging out in the US and ignoring Europe, South America and Asia (those are the hot spots for 20-somethings, right?) for the time being. I want to do San Francisco and Nashville this year (firsts), as well as a return to Portland>Seattle>Vancouver Island. What can I say? I'm hooked on the Pacific Northwest.
  • Read one book that is not required for school per month. Self explanatory. My brain could use it.
  • Invest in quality pieces for my wardrobe. Every season I decide that I'm going to liquidate my closet, and every season I dump maybe five pieces and call it a day. I've done a MAJOR overhaul getting rid of all of the crap that I've (1) had since high school or junior high (ack!), (2) haven't worn in a year or, (3) is just not me. I'm committing to buying less, but higher quality pieces. Frye boots and Canada Goose jacket, I'm looking at you.
  • Garden. Yeah ok, so I did this last year. I was a novice. I want to learn more this year. I've already been looking at seed catalogues (May, please come faster) and have been checking out books about composting and soil management. A major perk of still living at home is that my parents have a pretty decent sized backyard with ample space to grow. My challenge this year is convincing them to let me turn some of the lawn into a micro-farm.
There you have it. What are your goals for 2014?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

« »

aussi belle All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger