DELANCEY, AND OTHER MEMOIRS

Delancey
One of my goals this year is to read more non-academic books. Admittedly, this is one of my goals each year, and each year I seem to fall short. As much fun as reading about Alberta's Constitutional Framework is, sometimes a girl just wants to read about pizza. I'm having a moment with food related memoirs. While in Seattle last summer, I had the opportunity to dine at Delancey, and later found out about the book, which of course I had to read. I finished it rather quickly, and enjoyed every story in the book. Author Molly Wizenberg has this way of writing that makes you feel like you're the best of friends. Her stories are told in an raw, intimate manner, and you can't help but get drawn in. I think that having dined at Delancey helped me get into the book, as I could recall what the restaurant itself was like, as well as the dining experience itself. Overall, it was a wonderful read that I could not recommend enough.

I was having a chat with Gabi today while we were browsing the cooking section at Chapters about cooking memoirs. She mentioned a few that are now on my list, and I recalled one that I had read last year and fell madly in love with. I tend to be a read once and forget kind of gal... There are very few books that have had a lasting impact on me, but this is one of those ones that did. Another food memoir called The Art of Eating In by Cathy Erway. It documents her journey of swearing off eating out. A novel concept perhaps, but again, the stories that she has to tell about her experiences with home cooking are really inspiring.

ON MY LIST TO READ
1. A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg
2. Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton
3. 52 Loaves: One Man's Relentless Pursuit of Truth, Meaning, and a Perfect Crust by William Alexander
4. Bon Appetempt: A Coming-of-Age Story (with Recipes!) by Amelia Morris

I'm sure there are more, but they are mostly related to food politics as opposed to being memoirs. Are there any others that I should add to my list?

1 comments:

  1. 52 Loaves is definitely a book I really enjoyed reading. I hadn't thought about it until we went to Chapters, and even now, reading this, I am reminded about how much I enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete

« »

aussi belle All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger